To disable trackbacks and pingbacks completely on WordPress, do the following:
1. Disable for new posts
Uncheck the following setting:
Settings>Discussion>Allow link notifications from other blogs (pingbacks and trackbacks)
This will disable trackbacks and pingbacks for all future posts, but not for existing posts.
2. Disable them on existing posts
- Go to your Posts page
- Click ‘Screen Options’ in the top right
- View ‘x’ number of posts value to something reasonable, based on how many posts you have
- Click the ‘Select All’ box to select all posts visible on the page
- Click ‘Edit’ from the Bulk Actions dropdown menu
- Set the ‘Pings’ dropdown to be ‘Do not allow’
This should disable them for all existing posts. Last step, pages.
3. Disable them on existing pages
Unfortunately I couldn’t find a way to do this in bulk, or via the ‘Quick Edit’ screen, so you’ll have to go through each page and manually uncheck the option under the ‘Discussion’ tab.
After completing these 3 steps, you should have no more trackbacks or pingbacks on your WordPress site.