I forgot my headphones last week and wanted to make Winamp output to a USB headset instead. It wasn’t immediately obvious how to achieve this, so I thought it may be useful to share the knowledge.
- Open the Winamp Preferences box
- Go to ‘Output’ plugins
- Locate the ‘Nullsoft DirectSound Output’ plugin and click configure
- Select the device you want from the dropdown and click apply
- Click OK to close the box
- Restart Winamp! (this is not obvious!)
Alternatively, you might be able to do this via the OS as well. I run Windows 7 and did it as follows:
- Right click on the little speaker in the taskbar (next to the clock) and select ‘Playback Devices’
- Choose the device that you want to use, right click on it and select ‘Set as Default Device’
I noticed when I changed the USB headset to be the default playback device that for some reason I lost sound in Google Talk voice conversations. No idea why and I didn’t spend any time investigating it. Hence the method above for Winamp only.
Hope this is useful.